May 15, 2006

Mountain Climbing

I was listening to the audio book, Into Thin Air, recently, and the sheer danger of high altitude climbing is just unimaginable. But I wonder, is there any way someone with muscular dystrophy can go mountain climbing, even at low altitudes? I would like to try that.

My condition:

- fully wheelchair-reliant
- severe contractures in four limbs
- had undergone a major surgery on spine to correct scoliosis
- chronic pain in left hip
- regular physical therapy needed

Team work seems to be a paramount issue here. Into Thin Air, which recounts one of the worst disasters on Mount Everest, carries across a clear message of what happens when there is no unity and cohesion among a group's members. The division (or mere individualism) not only led to deaths that could have been prevented, but is apparent in the after-spat between survivors who criticized and blamed each other.

I can never climb a mountain alone. In fact, I cannot survive a day without someone else's help. But if you are willing to broaden someone else's horizon by lending a creative mind, let me know. You might just have stumbled across a project that's going to change my life, and yours as well.

No comments: