August 10, 2009

The dialogue between two Romantics

Hi. I've seen your video. It's really kind of meaning video ... definitely romantic and maybe a bit philosophic ...
It says more than the images and the words!

thank you
if you've heard America's NPR programs before, you'll probably notice I'm trying to mimic their way of speaking
... pointing towards something that can sometimes be so elusively called a inner Romance.... Ha.
Yeah. My testimonial that Elaine you're a true romantic person!
lol
I am, ain't I?
I remember telling you long time ago that I love the Romantic period
.. haa. According to my experience in watching your video.
guess this proves I am a romantic
No. I don't remember.
You said you like Shelley
or Byron
and I said I liked William Wordsworth
I only vaguely remember you detest poets like Byron and those belongs to the Santic schools ....
Oh.

Shelley eludes me
Well.. my memory fails. That's why I am now called a middle-aged man.
hahaha.
Glad that you like those guys.
They represent my fiery youth.


many a nights and many a days under some trees in some wild gardens, and eiher with some moonlight or some starlight, I just opened their verses and savored the joy and melancholy of being a ... what?
lol
wow did you just compose that out of your head?
i like it
But this fire will remain, believe me, if you're a true romantic, till the end of world... Ha.
I was really a Byron and Shelly fan and a big big Blake fan... Before I really knew Shakespeare.
it's so good to talk to someone who loves the romantics

Yeah. They are not shallow or just melancholy good-for-nothing.
They are the true spirit of this world.

btw, can i ask... what do you know about the interpretation and translation business in Taiwan? i'm graduating next year (next month i'll be a senior in XXX)
yes
but you know
i just heard a short philosophy discussion on ABC (Australia) and they were talking about the influence of the Romantic period on today's rock music
Yea.
and they mentioned how romantics who grow old tend to stray away from romanticism
because they realize romanticism can't take them much anywhere
and well... I think it can give me very good training.
that's why Nietzsche turned away from romanticism
but don't stick it out for too long.
Yeah
ok, back to the business thing
But look what does rationalism take us to? More Co2 and more dissolved ice shelf in the Arctic region...
i am taking some courses in interpretation and translation next semester
true
We don't need computer or car to accelerate human life up to 1000 x speed of what we ought to live.
and i've done both. and i don't know, wondering if i should make it my career
and also, what do you think of graduate schools in taiwan -- as an english major?
Well. yo can try to do that no prob, cuz yo've got the really good talent in language...
i totally suck in chinese
only that it might bore yo just 1 or 2 years maybe.
u mean i shouldn't do it long term?
Well... what i mean is that it is really sedentary.. unless you like this type of tranquility...
but really some would like this translation job very much... and stick to it for whole life and have good reputation and contribution to literary sector...
can be a meaningful career...
much better than a stock broker or a banker... or a lawyer...
these jobs has no value in God's eyes.
but translation can be really good to society.

hmm
i didn't know what to feel when i read that. i think i've secretly felt that translator/interpreter is a rather second-rate job
like, it's becos of my disability and becos i couldn't find other jobs that would accommodate my needs
Maybe, but really you don't have to feel any other way than whether you like it or not.. well just like I would love to be a classic painist.. but alas, when I found that out I was 30.
Ce'st la vie.

But don't have to judge yourself or your job according to worldly value.
Job is very simple - a job is a means to support your meaning in this life -
for me the meaning is to happiness in my own way.
No more and no less.
Mission and achievement... yes if they come in same direction with my happiness if not... come on... life is short and not everyone is a genius. let genius do his job and... if I am, let me do my job.
If I am not, let me have fun.


you think there's a market in Taiwan for this job?
and enough pay to sustain myself financially?
But well... you can never be wrong if start it out as a translator/interpreter... it's a good job... time frame is free, although maybe long... and efforts is hard yet can be more or less paced out by yourself..
Only that you have to manage your clients seriously...
so that you can have a constant source and wont' be worried about whether you can make the amount of money that can not only support your care person or even something more luxury like a trip or spa abroad something...

so, like, self-employed
self-managed
you can gradually cultivate your business and I believe... with diligence and also some business know-hows... you can do that.
or you can go into online tutor broker biz and well. that's even more lucrative.

huh
i really think i shouldn't go into business
not my cup of tea
Well. you come to know what you like or not like...
yup
well thanks a lot
that's very insightful for me
what you said
i shall ponder about my future as i spend my last year in college
hooray!
Yeah. Relax and let your heart speak.
then yo'll hear many beautiful voices you never heard.

i can totally see that as how a romantic mentors a romantic
lol
Only a romantic can know what a romantic talks and think.
lol
We know that without having to speak a word. Good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

elooooo!!!! It's your cousin Tung-Wei just loitered on your site and thought of checking in.
I assume you can make a good translater or interpreter. Just believe in yourself and you can conquer any obstacles and tread your way to the bright future. That's my current motto. It's somewhat a psychologic practice but it really helps.
Hope your summer hols is brilliant!
p.s: Talking about poetry. I'm really fond of Edgar Allen Poe's Gothic poems. Their edginess makes them electrifying!

Ches.

Elaine said...

Hey Chelsea, how are you? I've been trying to email you but forgot your email address. Can you write me? yilingonly@gmail.com. You got to send me some Edgar's poems. No idea he wrote gothic poems! ;)